MY WONDERFUL FAMILY

MY WONDERFUL FAMILY
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched-they must be felt with the heart.
Helen Keller

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Freezer Meals...

So a couple of people have asked about doing freezer meals. I don't really know if I am the person to give advice, and I really don't know that much about it. It is just something that I want to do more of because it is so nice to have good food prepared, and in the freezer when you don't feel like cooking.
A few months ago as an Enrichment night we did freezer meals. We had 6 ladies demonstrate different recipes, and then the ladies got to taste the final outcome. We also put together a freezer meal cook book for the ladies with lots of recipes. It was nice to be able to try some of the things so I knew if I wanted to make them myself.
So a couple of weeks ago my friend Jessica said that she wanted to do some freezer meals so I told her I would love to do it with her. She did a freezer meal group where she use to live so she pretty much did all the prep work, and got us started. We first went through our recipes, and decided what we wanted make. We picked 5 recipes, and 2 of the recipes we were able to split into 2 meals for each of us so we left with 7 meals. Jessica doubled the recipes, and then split up the ingredients. We each took our lists, and got the stuff we didn't have. I ended up spending a little over $20.00 for all of my stuff. We precooked the chicken, and sliced all the veggies before we got together so that all we had to do it throw everything together. It was so fast, and easy that way.
If you want to do freezer meals I would recommend getting some recipes together, and maybe trying them before so that you make sure that you like what you are making. Soups freeze really well, and then you can throw them in the crock pot the day you want to make them. manicotti, and lasagna also freeze nicely. Sauces and soups, and frozen meat, and poultry in sauces will keep for 5-6 months. I would recommend doubling or tripling your recipes so that you make several of one thing. It is more cost effective, and it is easier than making several different single recipes. But be careful with this because for example, I have a manicotti recipe that we doubled, but we were able to get 2 meals for each of us, so we were able to get a total of 4 meals out of a doubled recipe just because it made so much. We knew that because we had both made the recipe before. That is why I recommend being familiar with your recipe.
I hope this helps, and good luck making your freezer meals!

2 comments:

Megan said...

You are always so insightful! I just might try doing some meals myself! Thanks for the inspiration/motivation!

Trish said...

I like this idea. Brenda was in a freezer meal group last year and it sounded like something I could really use. Thanks for your hints.