So, when we went to Denver last week and found out that Tegan has Urinary reflux also, the Dr. told me that if I could get Tegan to go to the bathroom more regularly (every 2 hours so her bladder is never full) that there was a great chance that it would correct itself. Well, I thought to myself, are you kidding, getting Tegan to go to the bathroom is like pulling teeth. Don't get me wrong there are some times when she does really well, and will go and not have any accidents, and then other times where I am not sure that she was ever potty trained. It is a vicious cycle, one that is completely exhausting. Well, anyway after the Dr. told me this I decided that a timer would be the best option. I thought this because when Tegan has time out we set the timer on the stove, and when it buzzes she knows that I will come talk to her and then she can be done. So, when we returned home we started setting the timer and calling it the "potty buzzer." It is like magic!! When that buzzer goes off she runs right in the bathroom, no questions asked, and goes to the bathroom. We haven't had any accidents or any near accidents. She isn't holding it anymore either (this was a huge issue for us, she would hold it because she was afraid she would miss out on something). I am so excited about the progress we are making, and that she is cooperating. I am so proud of her!!
A couple of weeks ago we decided to start doing Family Home Evening again since we are all back together. Well, it was a huge success. I wasn't sure how Tegan would do, but to my surprise she actually listened, and has been talking about it ever since. We talked about being a forever family. We played a game that had the "good team" and the "sad team". We of course wanted to be on the good team so we talked about things to do for that to happen, and then we signed a piece of paper saying that we would do our part to be a forever family, and be on the "good team." Well, the weeks following she would always tell me that she wanted to be on the good team, or she would ask me if she was still one the good team. I couldn't believe that this one FHE had such an impact on her. Then one day Uncle Brad was over here, and he said something to me (we always joke around with each other) and Tegan walked up to him and said, "Uncle Brad you need to be on the good team. We can learn a lot from our children, and sometimes they will even help keep us on the "good team".
MY WONDERFUL FAMILY
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched-they must be felt with the heart.
Helen Keller
Monday, March 17, 2008
The "potty buzzer", and Family Home Evening success
Posted by Carrie at 6:31 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







0 comments:
Post a Comment