MY WONDERFUL FAMILY

MY WONDERFUL FAMILY
We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.
The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched-they must be felt with the heart.
Helen Keller

Monday, August 23, 2010

Colter Bay/Yellowstone 2010

We left on Thursday and headed to Colter Bay to spend the weekend with my parent's, grandma, brother Brian, and niece Estelle. We left at 8:00 p.m. on Thursday. It was pretty late, but that was the quickest we could get away. We got to Colter bay about midnight, and my parent's had everything ready for us to just go to bed. They were nice enough to give us the trailer and they slept in a tent. We were going to move to my grandma's trailer the next night to give them theirs back, but they wanted to sleep in the tent. Friday we all got up and had a nice breakfast. After breakfast we took off to go check out a couple of different lakes. When we got back Justin and I took the bikes, and rode around the camp area. We went to Jackson lake, and to the general store, and looked at the Indian Museum. It was fun to get to do that without the kids. We had an early dinner that night, and then we took my grandpa's boat out on Jackson lake. It was so beautiful out, and the water was really calm so it was a nice little boat ride. We were enjoying ourselves so much that we didn't get back until after dark.

Scout, Tegan, and Estelle

Riding bikes

We forgot Scout's bike so we had to give her rides

The girls in the car ready to go to the lake
Jackson Lake the night we were out on the boat


Tegan taking a turn driving the boat!



Saturday we went for a hike. We hiked around Jenny Lake up to these falls. The girls did great for it being a 3.4 mile hike. They walked the whole way there. Scout got tired on the way back so we had to carry her, but overall I was very impressed because that hike kicked my butt. I was dead tired when we got back to the car. It was a beautiful hike, and the falls were fun to see, but I won't be hiking again until the girls are a little older. After our hike we headed back to camp and relaxed. It was so nice to just sit around and visit with everyone.

Scout, Estelle, and Tegan on our hike

Tegan LOVES posing for pictures!

Estelle, Tegan, and Scout at the falls


Daddy and Scout
Grandpa, Tegan, Grandma, and Scout
Sunday we got up, and took the girls on a pony ride. It was a treat from my parent's for the girls doing so good on the hike. Tegan was all about it. Scout on the other hand was terrified of these cute little ponies. I wasn't sure if we were going to get her on one, but when the time came she got on, and rode it around like she had been doing it all her life. The girls loved it, and it was so fun to watch them enjoying it. After the pony rides we went back to camp and loaded up our stuff, and headed out. Justin and I wanted to take the girls thru Yellowstone. Justin has driven thru Yellowstone many times, but he has never stopped to sight see so that is what we wanted to do on our way home. We took our time, and stopped at Old Faithful, Yellowstone Lake, and Lodge, the falls. We saw an abundance of buffalo, but not really anything else. We stopped one time, because there were bears, but they were so far away we couldn't see them. We did see a little grizzly bear on our way into the park. I had just closed my eyes when Justin slammed on the breaks. I immediately opened my eyes to see a little grizzly cub running in front of our car. I wasn't able to get a picture because I didn't have my camera out...I was so bummed. We did turn around to see if we could see it again but didn't have any luck. So other than that we just saw buffalo, elk, and deer. It was a fun day, but it was an extremely long day in the car, and by the time we got through the park I was done with it all. We had a long drive home over the Beartooth pass. It was so dark, and we didn't pass one vehicle for 2 hours, and it was snowing. So that along with feeling car sick from all the twists, and turns I was ready to be home. I was glad when we were finally off the pass, and on the last leg of the trip. We made it home shortly after midnight. Overall, it was a GREAT trip, and I loved being with my family.
Us at Jackson Lodge
Tegan on her pony
Scout on her pony
Tegan giving the ponies a treat
Brian, Dad, Justin, Estelle, Grandma, Mom, Tegan, Scout, and Me the day we left

3 comments:

Megan said...

Glad you had such a fun time and were able to get away for the weekend! Great pictures! I love the "camping look" you and the girls went for! Super cute! Can't wait to talk to you!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!!! You got some really cute pictures!

allison said...

How fun I've never been to yellowstone but would love to your pictures are great!